Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Software Engineer with rich background, what do expect?
View Single Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornl View Post
99% of the reason that I am coming in the first place is to mix with Singaporeans and try to integrate in Singaporean culture. That's sad to hear that Singpore is not the place for me, career wise. I am nevertheless moving over next week for my degree. I guess being your own boss is the way to go then, if I would to consider building a life in Singapore.

And, LOL. I am not lying about my work experience, I do not have a lot to gain by doing that.
Good luck then. I would be interested to hear your opinion on Singapore after a while. Perhaps your experience may be more positive, particularly if you can build up a successful business instead of being a salaried employee, Singapore is business friendly and things work well. Taxes are particularly low for high income earners, a maximum of 15% I believe.

However for the squeezed middle class its a struggle. Many Singaporeans would prefer to be overseas. I have friends overseas who are have an obviously superior quality of life and purchasing power, free healthcare provided by the state, and pensions. Life is so much easier for them. We Singaporeans can only depend on ourselves, the country is rich, but we are poor. Many are university-educated and hardworking, but are struggling with our low salaries and high cost of living. With large housing loans for our tiny apartments, 100,000SGD cars which we can only drive for 10 years, 42h (at least) work-weeks, cramming in the trains and buses in this tiny island, constant risk of so-called foreign 'talent' who are merely cheaper to hire, threatening our jobs. There is no hire Singaporeans first policy. Hardly any privileges as a Singaporean. The Singaporeans who can, will be looking abroad. I will go when I finish my obligations.

So it is puzzling to me, why you want to come here, you can probably make it in any other country in the world. All the best anyway.