Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 10:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OP here, am grateful for the help and heartened by the support! I understand it will not be easy.

I値l be taking it up in my current school, replacing the current SH who is leaving. It is a primarily IP position but it is expected I will also do dual SH duties for another non-IP portfolio (e.g. Pupil Welfare), as the previous SH did. It will be one year internal appointment first starting next year. As for my background, I would be considered an experienced teacher, but I definitely have less than 10 years in the service.

I will take on the internal SH appointment beginning next year.
Self
Since it痴 an internal appointment, I assume you have an HOD too? If so, it値l be good for you to clarify if this role is really something you want. You値l have to make some sacrifices, but there値l also be some rewards (both tangible and intangible). Manage your pace, don稚 burnout.

Others
Downwards: relationships with other teachers may change, especially since now you have to be somewhat responsible for their work too. They値l also look to you for advice. Remain humble.

Sideways: learn from experienced KPs, especially during SMC meetings. Not forgetting your HOD of course.

Upwards: manage their expectations. Negotiate workload if you can. Reading bosses is like what others say, very important.