Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Computer Sci degree(ntu) with acca
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceminer View Post
Hi all,

was juz wondering... if i had a computer sci degree coupled with an acca, would it make a difference when i look for a job and is there any significant pay difference if i have ACCA compared to not having it. I currently am certified in MCSE 2003 and currently on my way to doing MCSD(almost completing) for the .NET framework 3.5(VB). so juz wondering if u ppl could give my any advice on should i take up ACCA as i feel the IT field is juz too competitive with the FT being so much better and willing to work for much less.

well some great feedback would be kindly appreciated

P.S. juz being curious and asking for i would like to study abt accounting.
I think you already know the answer in your heart just that you need some confirmation

I think its better you be very clear on what you want. Accounting and IT is two seperate world altogether. You have to look at the job you are applying if you are an IT engineer, no use studying ACCA coz yr future boss will ask you how relevant is that? and if you came in expecting a large increment becoz of the ACCA cert while applying for an IT engineer job, forget it.

Assuming you are interested in accounting and u managed to get an ACCA cert (not easy I promise you), then whats the point of your computer sci degree?? Again, you will face the situation like i mentioned earlier. Dont expect any large increment coz ur computer sci degree dont make a difference in an accounting job (in fact I think you may even get something lower coz the job doesnt tie in to ur education)

So my BEST advise is, stick with your computer sci degree. Look for an IT role in a bank (assuming you want to be a Investment Bankie someday, which I am sorry to say fat hope) OR work for those IT consultant firms like Accenture etc where the pay can easily be 100k per project basis.

If you are capable, everywhere u go is the same, ppl will appreciate and groom you. If you are lousy, no matter how much paper you have, you will just be another average joe. So dont think the more paper you have, the better you are coz HR dont c that and most likely they think you are fickle minded not sure of what you want.

Cheers