Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2020, 02:03 AM
Unregistered

Default Llm

As someone with an UOL (external) LLM, New York Bar and SG Bar (pqe 8) this is what I have to say in terms of salary and prospect

Law is not my first career although it was my first degree. I spent 6 years fufilling my bond as I was sponsored for overseas law studies. During the 6 years bond (non law career), I decided to do an LLM just for love of studying and did all the fun and albeit employers think a bit useless subjects such as UN rights of women, children rights etc. Prior to the end of my bond I qualified for NY bar then SG bar subsequently.

Following which I began my career in big 4 law firm. And no one cares for LLM or NY bar. Salary was lockstep according to SG PQE. After a few years I went in house at a big local company and again no one cares for it.

However, the only good thing was that these qualifications make employers look twice at you. I felt that as I grew more senior the NY bar came in more handy to MNC particularly US MNC. Which for many years felt like a white elephant to me. The LLM is only useful to take the conversation somewhere. Ultimately companies look for PQE.

Looking back. I think if money was a constraint I would rather spend it on being doubled bar then an LLM. But having said that as I took all the fun subjects I didn't regret it. Though I really don't remember much from those subjects having never put it into practice at all.