Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Value of good academic credentials
View Single Post
Old 29-06-2011, 12:51 PM

esoteric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
I think this question is a rather no brainer, good results will definitely give you at least an interview. Anything during and beyond the interview is based on your performance.

No one will interpret a person with good results as having no life outside of studies. One will however, judge whether you're social awkward based on your interview performance.

Relevant CCA records might give you the edge, but the fact is that you need to get your resume through the system, to the hands of the recruiting manager. Normally at the hands of HR, your resume will be filtered out by results already. I would say CCA records should only serve as icing on the cake, rather than being treated as a cake itself.

On another note, unless you have CCA/internship records like youth ambassador to the UN health program or something, that's a totally different story.

Looks like good academic results just gets you through the first door, i.e the interview. After that it does not really matter anymore. I believe Shell takes this approach. Once you get a slot in Shell Recruitment Day, results are inconsequential when it comes to selection; its all about presentation skills, EQ, business acumen and knowledge of current affairs, and most importantly, whether they "like" you.