Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Life Insurance Planner or Civil Engineer?
View Single Post
Old 24-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey man, I totally agree with you, I dont mean to sound sarcastic in my earlier reply just that the way I look at youngster these days and first thing that came to their mind is upon stepping out of their school comfort zone is I want be the next Warren Buffet, Paulson & Co fund manager, Carlye or KKR.

I mean get a life, passion? Whats that? Many ppl have passion in the finance industry and I dont see many of them end up being pte bankies or wat. In fact I see a lot of them fighting to survive the massive swamp of FT from India, PH as the BB thought about where to locate their operations to next to cut down costs.

At least, for those wannabe bankies, go library and borrow some books to understand whats the basic terms like bid, spread, how SIBOR rates affect your mortgage loan rate, whats carry trades etc before you talk about being a bankie.
Haha, you old uncle har? We were all young once tio boh? It's like a normal cycle - when fresh from school all of us think we will be "THE ONE" to make it big out of thousands of others. Then get more jaded as years pass, our ambition also slowly downgrade from CEO to eventually anything just to keep current job security.

Almost inevitably, we suffer some setback in later 30s or early 40s. Some people recover, some rediscover life, while others languish. The finance industry has the most snuffed out dreams and ambitions I've ever seen, lots of people join want to make it big, a small number do, majority just end up doing sh1tty job with average pay and some end up loosing their jobs.

Sometimes I quite admire people who upon graduation, can straight away understand they are mediocre, decide that having average pay and steady job is important and join public sector. A lot of people here you see the way they ask question and their thought process already know not very good, still dream on wanting to make it big in banking, one of the most competitive industry...