Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2020, 09:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
take the anecdotes with a pinch of salt. It's easier to get into a big-4 with a 2nd lower once you've had at least 1-2 PQE of relevant experience. Securing TC with 2:2 is a bit harder (but not that uncommon).
Most of the rags to riches stories are from the old batches who enjoyed the golden age of the legal industry when even second lower can get into mid-sized or big-4. Things have changed now. TC vacancies will first go to those who have connections in the firm, then to the FCH and strong mooters. There are many law students who have family members or relatives who are partners in some law firms, and they will never admit they got in through the backdoor. The rest of you average students have to fight tooth and nail for the remaining handful of TC vacancies.

As an average local grad, I myself underwent 6 internships from small to big firms but still had to send out close to 100 applications, interviewed for about 5 and finally got a TC with one of the small firm I interned with. P.S my CV and cover letter was tailored to each firm I applied to. By stepping into law school without connections and if you are not from elite JCs, you have already lost half the battle. Getting FCH and strong second uppers can only help you with the other half. The rest just be mentally prepared to be exploited like free TC/intern or work as legal exec first.