Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 01:00 AM
Unregistered

Default Assistant Manager from MCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
From statistics point of view, i think the chances of you being a stats nus first class honours is very low.

Let me explain why.

Any science major, much less a stats first class honours, should be analytical enough to look at the nus ges.
At 75th percentile it is already 3700 or 3800. So for first class honours even higher. You should have known.

You have seniors who would have tell you the indicative benchmarks, civil service salary are also widely known

The fact that is that you didnt check.

Any first class honours would have done a comprehensive data collection, especially u are a stat major.

Given that my prior experience with stats major is that they believe in data, collect it extensively.

From bayesian stats:

P(first class stats honours|Didnt collect impt info)

=[P(Didnt collect impt info|First class honours)*P(first class honours)]/p(didnt collect impt info)

Since first class is rare, ie p(first class) is small and P(Didnt collect impt info|First class honours) is even rarer
The product is super small

Therefore From bayesian stats, the posterior likelihood of u being a stats first class honours From nus (given that u didnt check the income norm) is very low.
Hi, I’m the Asst Manager from MCI, FCH NUS graduate with stats bg, getting $3.3K. Maybe it’ll help if I share that I’m not doing stats and I’m doing HR. It’s not that I didn’t collect important info. I went out there with $3.8k as a target salary and I told myself I wouldn’t accept anything lower than $3.6k.

You’re aware that COVID-19 was brewing at that time when I was given the offer. A lot of people, even internet strangers from reddit, were advising me to take any job I can find, so I did. I even got another job offer that suggested the economy was just bad and it’s not good to risk it to find a higher paying job (that job from private sector was 3.2K).

I reasoned that the pay was lower because of the economy, but I’ve learnt that other fresh grads at MTI are getting much higher than me, so that was when I came here to ask for insights. I assumed the salaries were pegged like another user said.

I’m not here to argue or not whether it’s true, I think it’d be really hard to show you my contract. It’s okay if you don’t believe me, but for those who are willing to, can you possibly provide some insights? Is it just that MCI pays low, or COVID-19 is affecting things? Some people are telling me that the base pay in ministries shouldn’t be affected much by the situation.