Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19 Batch - Are your lowering your expectations?
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Idk what’s wrong with a contract job? Must understand that government jobs all begin with contracts to gauge your performance before they will consider moving you to a permanent position abt 2 months before contract expires. As the HR told me, think of it as a “1 year probation” so just do your job well and work your ass off and cherish the chance if you really wish to find a job, more so in the public sector. Idk why so many people are so intimidated by the notion of a contract lol perm or contract you still enjoy the same benefits anyway. And another HR also told me, perm or contract they can still terminate you if you don’t perform well, so the bottomline is just do your best don’t worry bout these things too much. U all rly think perm job = safeguard from termination meh
Lol being in HR Talent area myself I would say thats a big lie - its not equal to a 1 year probation. Most contract jobs exist because the firm has some project and they need some manpower to fulfill the assignment successfully.

Not all firms do projects 100% of the time, thats why they wont 100% extend your contract or convert you to perm.

The difference with perm is that the responsibility of the perm job is there to fulfill essential BAU functions. Thats why there is more safety net than a contract role.

Being terminated from a perm job is pretty rare unless you do a major fk up or we enter a big recession like this.

Sometimes also you take a contract job, headhunter or HR will use it as leverage to nego. For your next job, they offer you perm job but they dont give u increase of base salary cos its a big **** that youre moving up from contract role so u should be glad to receive on par base salary, or even worse pay cut.

So think carefully before you accept unless you have no other options. Think long term.