Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 29-03-2020, 12:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just wanted to check, are you a Dip Edder? If you are, chances are progression will be slower than those with degree. I was in a similar situation too. Was promoted to a 2A2 in 2014 then went on 2 year half pay leave to do an upgrade to degree at NIE. Then in 2015, all officers were converted to the GEO no. 1 to 5 scheme and for 2A2s, I was pegged as a GEO 3. Got transferred to a new school in 2016 due to change of home address and got promoted to a 4 this year. So I 'hentak-kaki' for about 6 years. I had approached my VP before regarding this matter and he said it is all at the hands of HQ. He also mentioned, it can be 'time based'. Sometimes I feel, it's also up to whether your P pushes for it / if you have a supportive school culture that recognises your work. For myself, I believe it was a JIT promotion. I joined the service since 2008, as a female, 12 - 2 years (in NIE) as starting out as a Dip Edder should be considered normal. As for yourself, why not seek an appointment with your P and highlight your concerns? All the best, if not in April perhaps in October? Continue to keep your chin up.

I was a dip ed holder, not the BA ed holder or pgde. I joined in 2011, then 2013 got promoted to 2A2. I also went to study at Unisim from 2012 to 2014 n graduated in 2014, followed by my emplacement. Same as you, in 2015, the new GEO scheme kicked in n i was pegged at GEO3. Initially i did thought of this, whether it was because my degree is a so-called second rate degree, that's why i was promoted slower.

But i have 2 other colleagues who did not even take a part time degree, so they are still dip ed holder, but both of them are already geo4, one of them is even a kp. So im thinking it may not be entirely true.