Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - is computer science a good choice for a degree?
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2020, 03:32 AM
Unregistered

looks like much non-software engineer here giving false information & I am hoping to clear things up. I am a software engineer myself and I daresay the prospect is extremely good. Of course, if you are an average engineer, you won't get far.

Let's just face it, most Singaporean are non-technical people. They don't know how the tech industry is like, with a typical traditional mindset thinking business/law/doctor is still the hot stuff. Top-paying companies? they are all involved in the tech field (google, facebook, amazon, and so on.) They all have one thing in common, they value talented engineers the most over other roles. Don't even need to bring up how much they are paying (excluding other benefits like rsu that they hardly offer to other roles)

Startup? most are tech-driven and they are the most important roles. Just take a look at your daily life. Lazada, Shopee, Grab, Deliveroo, Carousell (can they even function without an App...?)
I can hardly imagine any companies to be successful nowadays without being tech-driven.

If you are good, don't even need to work for as long as 20 years. Software engineers have their leveling in most companies, so the advancement is always there. A simple job search on Linkedin also shows that most postings are related to software engineering.

why does the prime minister family have so many computer science graduates if it doesn't have a good prospect?

How easy is it to get a job in the US with a non-technical background? Computer Science background with H1B1 visa will give you an edge