Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 27-03-2020, 06:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is 100k pa all-in too much to ask to exit at 3PQE?
This is a bit above market rate. But YMMV, if 100k p.a. is less then what you're currently drawing then it would be easier to negotiate. It would also be easier if you have some kind of special skill set.

I'm a 5 PQE in-house counsel (been in-house for the past 2 years) who's been looking to switch. Back in January I was looking for a 20% jump in pay, but now recruiters have been advising that I'd be lucky to get a pay match (my current pay is about 100k pa, FYI). I turned down a role in February because the increment was only about 10%, but it's practically dead silence / rejections now so I'm wondering if that was a good decision.

All in all, I would say that it is quite a bad time for an in-house counsel to switch jobs. Legal counsels are generally paid quite a bit higher than someone else in the company with an equivalent amount of experience, even if that someone is in a role which makes profits for the company. I'm a bit nervous because my company has quite a big APAC legal team and as a department we are very expensive to maintain. I'm bracing myself for pay cuts and layoffs.