Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 21-03-2020, 11:42 AM

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What does it mean to have the grade "C"? Does it mean that your work is just average in comparison to the officers in the same grade as yours?

I am asking as I have been given many responsibilities last year (presenting at international conference, participating in partnership research with other institutions, etc) and frankly, I was expecting a better grade - at least a C+ because during the previous years when I was doing less, I was also given a C. This is also not my promotion year - have not had any promotion since 2 years ago.
Yes essentially you are pitted against officers in the same grade. But you, together with the other officers in the same grade, are also matched against the expectations in that grade. E.g. the expectations of a GEO1 could just be to show effort in classroom management and effect change in the classroom. But that of a GEO 4, even if you have excellent classroom management skills, you are also supposed to effect change maybe at a cluster level, action research etc. And that will be the norm that is expected. So there can be instances where all the GEO4s in your school get C because nobody rose above the expectations. This is also why most people GEO5 and above rarely get A anymore. But in that sense, their pay is also high enough such that a C quantum also is quite substantial