Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer graduating soon
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ermm.. but 20% or less are Singaporeans. Many are PRs and many more are foreigners.
and this country didn't give me job, I seek for it. Singaporeans didn't give me job,
as the HR recruitment team are ALL non-Singaporeans, and the bosses (VPs & Ds)
I had interviewed with were NOT Singaporeans. So What's there to say about
"the hand that feeds you" as I'm doing everything to feed myself, I have my own loans to
finance.

Cheers
That's a terribly myopic point of view. Ironic isn't it when you accuse others of being narrow-minded? It doesn't matter if the entire bank was entirely made up of foreigners, what more only those who interviewed you. Do you think the HR department in your IB created this piece of island, complete with all manner of infrastructure, resources, networks, political structure, etc etc? Why is that IB even in Sg to begin with, or the existence of that particular job that which you hold? By your decree? By HR's? Did the IB fund the entire development of Sg, so as to provide job vacancies to FWs such as yourself?

Could it be a miracle perhaps or pure coincidence then?... Neither of them. Everyone here, from the Sg govt who approved your work visa to the FWs who built the building you're working in had a role to play. Even to a small extent, the elderly Sgn uncle/aunty who accept their depressed wages to clean the toilets you use, if you are willing to widen your gaze. Please... Don't presume that only your own efforts were sufficient to ensure your place in this society, that the work that you do fully compensates the sacrifices made, past, present and future, to allow you the current lifestyle you think you own. That it can be completely encompassed in just the financial loans that you owe. Think harder.

starchild,
I'm sorry that I may have hijacked your thread here (as well as earlier) bcz I felt it was important. I was a fresh ME/IE grad myself and I got in primarily because I did well both in school and outside of school (school was overseas), so it is possible w/o any connections. I would advise not just being one-tracked (only banking) but to apply as widely as you can too. You never know if you might find something else more interesting, especially since you're still young. I do believe there are some consulting companies that employ lots of Aussies who moved over here. They might be able to relate with you better come the interview. I wish you the best of luck bcz I think Sg needs more people like you. Keep us posted on what happens.