Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Cornell vs Cambridge vs SMU
View Single Post
Old 30-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Unregistered

Cool Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In fact, some of my friends from the States have never heard about NUS before, much less NTU and the lesser known SMU.
In fact, many non-Singaporeans have not even heard of Singapore.

Quote:
All things equal, a brand name top university definitely helps 100%, so do good looks.

Life's unfair.
Haha this is true. The thing is when a top-potential individual, a top university and good looks are combined, you get something even more powerful.

Quote:
Would you be able to elaborate more on the job you've landed and how it is so far? For someone who has similar educational background as you (engg, science grad from top US/UK uni), who has just completed the bond, would the companies like yours view them any less than a fresh grad? =( What are some of the minuses for these group of people?

Thanks and regards.
The detriment of taking up a long bond to pay for your studies basically hinges on how applicable your job experience is to your new employer, not on how much or how little experience you have. After I managed to secure my first internship after NS and before university, I realized that applicable job experience is crucial to your future employment success. This experience will give you a powerful edge over other applicants.

I suggest that you take advantage of your post while bonded, and use the job to network with individuals that you may not have the opportunity to meet otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodderz View Post
Thanks everyone who has given advice. It looks like i'm leaning towards cambridge then. I have applied for cambridge trusts scholarships and still waiting. So we will see what happens.
Cool. I'm going to cambridge in 2011 too. I'm reading economics. Cya there.

Food for thought:

Having done my stint in a private fund, I have quickly appreciated the importance of work experience and entrepreneurship: a spirit found in many places (like the US) but uncommon in Singapore. Yes, Singaporeans do not boasts MNCs and, considering the tiny market here, I do not see us supporting the growth of a large one anytime soon. However, stable job opportunities are abound here. You won't be buffett because you never took the risk, but you will live comfortably.

So where do degrees come into play? If you are a brilliant business man and have an idea that will revolutionize the world, then forget your degree and take the risk now. People are generally conservative; they only pursue a degree because they are not confident of achieving success themselves without it. It is risk-adverse behavior.

Since you have expectations to meet (your own, your parents), you have chosen to pursue a degree. This provides you with some safety net in case you fail. Furthermore, it gives you new perspectives, connections, ideas and experiences. Hence, go for the overseas degree if you can afford it. Personally, I felt that by staying local, I will have little change of developing new perspectives, for I continue to be sheltered by my parents and my citizenship. Hence, I chose to go to cambridge instead of NUS (I had NUS law & business + a bond-free scholarship).

All in all, remember that a degree is just a means to an end (which is making a lot of money). Thus, be it in SMU/Cambridge/Cornell, you must keep the end in mind, and work (network/ start a business whatever) towards your goal, rather then just study for the sake of the degree. Leverage on your school network to get better job information and opportunities. Otherwise, you would have wasted your time and money.

Hope this helps !