Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How to be rich?
Thread: How to be rich?
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Verified Member

financialfreedom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor millionaire View Post
I bought a property at age 24 in 2004 for 400k, with 80k (cash + cpf) from 3 years working as an lowly paid auditor who saved all 70% of her income to invest in stocks. With 80k cash from savings + profits from stocks, I bought the 400k property with 80% gearing.

Then I sold this property in late 2009 at 800k. Then with the 500k (profit and equity) released from this property, I bought another two properties. I sold one in December 2010 after holding it for 16 months with a small profit of around 180k (net of all expenses). The property I held onto it with about 200k equity in it. Altogether I have 500+180k = 680k made from property investments.

I have another 400k in the bank that was a mix of salary savings as well as passive income from trading on NASDAQ. I just buy only a few stocks, namely RIMM, AMZN and APPL. However these stocks are so volatile and so popular that I made a total of 200k profits from just day trading these stocks from 2009 to 2010.

With that, I made my first million (or around 1.08M) in SGD.

Now, the dilemma is that I have one property left but that is a studio apartment (the one with 200k equity in it). HOwever, I need a bigger space. Currently with the new ruling where I have to fork out 40% cash for the second property, I will have to exhaust my entire 1 M for say a 2.3M semi-D or Corner terrace in today's market.

I just wish I know when the property market will start to soften again so I can make my purchase!

Any clues?
Hey, just wondering, you bought your first private property for 80k down payment? For current property prices, will need about at least 200k down payment for 3-room condo (1M - 1.2M)

I find it so hard to achieve $200k