Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 PM
Failedinlife

Default It seems like my only option is to sign on. But do u think i should?

Hi all,
I would like to start out this post by giving a brief introduction about myself.
Unlike most posters here, i am only still a diploma holder in Finance at the current age of 27 y/o. I have always been playful and never really had the guidance from parents nor peers int he career paths that i should take etc. Thus i have been job hoping since i completed my NS. My last drawn is $2500 in a finance related role in a pte company and i knew the role offered very little progression, if any at all. In my role, I was able to see numerous income statements of individuals and only then did i realise that i should be aspiring for more in life. Especially in terms of income.
In addition, i am aware that a background in finance does very little in comparison to STEM related qualifications and know that i offer very little in terms of finance to the marketplace.
I do have a flair for administrative roles, and have received numerous testimonials that i include in my resumes when applying for jobs.
But..
To cut the post short, i have since applied for a uniformed role (SGT2) and have been appointed and offered a starting salary of $2.5K+.
I would sincerely like to ask for genuine career advice from individuals who have experienced my situation or know of people in my situation.

Should i take the uniformed role? (I am not ultra passionate about it, like some individuals would make believe, but more so, i need to be realistic since i am already 27, and in need of steady progression in my career.)

Another concern i have though, is that i have applied for stat board admin roles. Assuming if i am offered those roles as well with similar starting pay,
should i choose this over the uniformed role?
Since the skills are more transferable in the marketplace and the exposure to learning opportunities is significantly higher.

For posters who take the time to reply, i just want to thank you for taking the time beforehand.

Sincerely,
Failedinlife