Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer salary
Thread: Engineer salary
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
wah, you earn so much in just 2 years exp. almost hit 5k/mth

i 2nd lower ntu, after 3 n half year , with 3 annual increment n 1 promotion , is almost hit 3.4k only!!!!, I am way under paid too
'

Are you working in government as R&D engineer or in private sector as R&D engineer??
Working in private sector. I have 2yrs 3mths experience, so it's not really 2yr flat experience.

Just want to share some stuff I learned:

1) Do just a little bit more, especially for loud tasks (presentations, reports that will go up to higher levels). Just check spelling, alignment, diagrams, charts, etc. and make sure things look good and professional. This is your basic ammo when it comes to performance review.

2) Be respectful and understanding to internal & external contractors. Engineering is not easy stuff and unexpected things can happen. They will appreciate greatly if you lend them a hand instead of screaming at them to meet deadlines. Next time you can be sure they will go the extra mile for you and you can do a better job. Better job = more ammo.

3) Take the challenging task / project that nobody wants, provided you feel that you are up to it. You already score 1/2 point with your boss by volunteering to take such a task. This is motar and artillery for performance review.

4) If customers are very satisfied after you complete their project, be a bit thick skin and ask for a letter of commendation (official one with company letter head). This letter is like an air strike during performance review, but don't pester them for it if they don't want to give.

5) You NEED to "step on" others to go up. Do it the fair and professional way with quality of your work. Do wayang a bit when you have a job well done to back you up. Don't play politics, gossip, put down others, backstab or anything like that - you'll fall faster than you can climb.

6) Forfeiting 1 or 2 days of my annual leave for "urgent" work really make my spider boss happy. Everything is "urgent" to him and 1-2 days is nothing for more ammo.

7) After your boss acknowledges your capability, you have to make sure not to "cheapen" yourself by being super easy-going and taking any task quickly. Reject menial tasks tactfully. Less menial tasks = more time for impt stuff = better job done = more ammo.

Hope these will help fellow engineers get their much deserved raise.