Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 PM
2M in assets at 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This forum is full of millionaires... so inspiring....seems that most of them made it through stocks and property.

But stocks are volatile, did you simply hold on all the way? What about between end 2008 and early 2009 when the market was at the bottom, did all of you millionaires simply stay cool and hold your stocks?

As for property... it also goes up and comes down. Although when the market is rising, the money made is very large, property can also be risky as it involves leveraging myself and paying off the loans for decades. Its ok if the property can be rented out at breakeven, but there is no guarantee there will always be a tenant! Not to mention the new draconian cash upfront requirements for second properties.

Any advice on how I can become a self-made millionaire like some of you too? Is stocks and property still the best way? Its my goal and dream to achieve financial freedom and a comfortable retirement, to be asset rich and cash rich.

Property: Condo (950k value now. Outstanding loan 460k)
Cash: 55k
Stocks: 20k
CPF: 37k (OA & SA)
Income: 5k monthly

I don't intend to buy a car unless public transport becomes intolerable.

Stupid moves when I was younger involved 4k realised loss and 8k paper loss on shares, 7k on useless branded goods, 15k on holidays, 30k on wedding. Looking back I was such a spendthrift. This has to change.

it's simple.

Step 1: work hard and smart to get a higher income (at least 10K per month) so you have a good cash flow

Step 2: live frugally and build up savings (aim for at least 80K per year)

Step 3: use your war chest (min 500K) to buy property or stocks when there is a recession (example in 2003 after sars and 2009 after AFC).

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app