Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 12:03 AM
Unregistered

currently, there is a huge shortage of tech workers, especially locals and PRs.
i have an IT degree from NUS in 2012, and i left my jobs every time (5x) without any offer, and always secured an offer within 2 months.
starting salary at 3k to 7k now
and i'm getting an average of 1 recruiter inmail every 1-2 week with new opportunity
that's how thriving the tech scene is at the moment.

so if u're keen to enter into the tech scene, why not just take the time during the break to really learn about programming or tech fundamentals. high level subjects like cloud infra, cloud software, blockchain, AI, mobile, etc.
just start off with some basic programming class, if it seems very easy to you, i suggest u invest ur time and money to do a programming bootcamp. just google and u can find a few in SG, their post-grad employment rates seem quite high.

if u're struggling with programming, then just learn abt tech in general, the areas i mentioned previously. combined with ur prev exp/expertise in finance/operations/hr/marketing/sales/project mgt/procurement/whatever, it allows u to enter tech companies.
there are tech companies in all sort of industries and fields, so can also look for one relevant to ur prev field/industry.
for instance, if u worked in f&b before, u have exp to work in companies doing food delivery, food ordering system, restaurant booking system.

my point is, instead of being despair and praying everyday, why not do something the future you will be grateful for? go learn a new skill, and it's the best time for u. treat this like a job, and u'll get a "promotion" sooner than u expected

good luck!