Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Low salary for scholarship
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 03:45 AM
scsealumni

Default a

Although there have been people who defy odds and manage to succeed regardless, you will find that it is much easier to start with a good profile and then move afterwards to another good company than to start with a relatively unknown companies to HRs screening your resumes - I would like to stress that SMEs are not necessarily bad - it's just that I wouldn't count on a move to a high paying job at a MNC as a statistically sound move after 2 years - after two years your class of honours and GPA literally means nothing - it's all about skills, competencies and knowledge displayed at the interview AFTER you get past the screening process, and people from SMEs tend to struggle at that.

But who cares what I think? Maybe you could eventually work at a startup that manages to IPO within 2 years and you would be laughing away at all other posters here. Ultimately it is about YOU. The 30k scholarship means nothing if you don't need the money right away - and you will find that job negotiation in pay are often also dependent on your current pay (not so much for graduate jobs but subsquent jobs after) so switching after 2 years from a low salary pay is already kind of messed up.

From the point of view of a HR recruiter, they will most definitely shortlist a candidate with a superior job pedigree (given candidates have relevant skills for the role) - academic results mean almost nothing 2 years into the role. The major point of getting good grades is to help you get into graduate school, or to help u land a good starting job.