Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 15-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Unregistered

Default Sadly I somewhat agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Replying to above... *continue ranting aha*

Yes yes! Totally agree. A lot of these roles I have no idea why they bother to post onto the public job portals, and sometimes doubt they are genuine in collecting resumes. And I believe many of us here really took the effort to draft our resume for each application to customize to the role and highlighting critical important requirements. It is really upsetting to know many of our sent applications will probably never be read.
My friend in HR said, it's a directive to instill confidence in our citizens that there's jobs, just yet to find the perfect one. Hope is better than despair. Keep the job on the portal as long as possible.

And agree to the referral part. In my months of search and sending many many applications, most if not all of those which I finally got a phone or face-to-face interview were those that were internally referred.

I even heard from people I know, whose online application for a job never got any response, but was able to get a face-to-face interview after getting a friend who is working in the organisation to refer for the same role. So sometime it is not so much about how you write or present your qualifications or capabilities. It is more about whether you have an effective person to refer you so that the HR will pick up and read your resume, or pass your resume to the hiring manager.
or else HR software will filter your profile away even before human looks at it

I guess now the key to get a job is not about drafting the best resume, but rather going for more networking sessions, building up a good network so you can be referred to your desire organisation. Haha now really regret of being an extreme introvert, hopefully it is not too late now to get out of comfort zone to network and 'forcefully' build connection on linkedin. Haha!
I feel that sometimes bosses want a person they feel they can manage (eunach) , rather than a person to help them to manage (general) . Especially lady bosses. Never greet her also a crime, never smile when she put a file on your table to follow up also crime. But a flatter a bit here n there, nice shoes, amazing hair, you are employee of the month

I went for interview for a BD role. Bit of sales bit of networking, bit of team lead. The boss was a young lady, very artistically inclined and I wonder... This boss no sales background how ah.... At the end of the interview I asked her if she had any reservation... She said, you may be too aggressive for my team... OK case close.... U need to fill a sales role but u want gentle type.... I showed myself to the door.
Might as well enjoy the ranting if nobody has unique or critical questions that need quality answers.. Afterall this is also considered the Real and Dark side of getting a white collar job in Singapore.