Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2019, 02:02 AM
Verified Member

rapdec87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If I join mid career as MX 11, will there be increment after a 6 months probation?
Probation is 1 full year in the civil service.

Just a general point - please, do not join the civil service if you are not a scholar. I know different people have different career interests, and some just want a stable job with decent income, so can focus on other interests outside of work.

But please think very carefully if this is the path you want to take. At least try more years in the pte sector first and discover your real interest. If you really have no interests out there and have some interest in public policy, then do join the cs.

In cs, the scholars rule. And the system/culture is as such that every 2 years, they rotate heads/DDs around for posting, and most do not have prior experience handing the work of the specific ministry. The result of this is that the heads/DD, who are usually career-minded, will push the sh!t work to the juniors, who would have to find solutions. For scholar juniors, it is a batism of fire and they know that they just have to work around 2 years, get A grade and move on and promote. The non-scholars have to content with Bs/Cs and nope, your progression will be very slow, despite the long hours (yes, in certain depts in CS, there may be longer hours than pte sector).

Please respect yourself. I seen quite a few with potential but due to the culture in the cs, they became content after a few years staying a relatively junior level in exchange for stability/decent pay, and couldnt move out to pte sector due to fear of change or just don't have the relevant skillsets.

If you are still young and not a scholar, try something out there and discover your interests, and mind less about the pay first.

Please don't believe the bs the govt is sprouting about focusing less on grades. This isn't so in the cs.

Just my quick thoughts on this early Sunday morning.