Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as an artist (musician) in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 18-03-2019, 08:22 PM

Unsurestudent is on a distinguished road

Dear Cheng,

Hey man, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I was having doubts about going down this path, so it's really reassuring for me to see that there are others who have the same dreams as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void Deck Musician View Post
I'm a freelance acoustic guitarist since 2010 and I can tell you that, like any other industry, it is not THAT easy to be in.
Oh that's interesting! So you don't have any other "stable" job besides your guitar playing? If you don't mind me asking, how much on average do you earn a month from that? And what sorts of projects and gigs do you do?

Quote:
BUT it is still possible to earn a living in Singapore as a musician although I'm not sure of your targeted income per month in order to live comfortably or consider this as a full-time job.
I would say $3-4k is a comfortable income salary, but I don't know if I could make this level of money just from freelancing alone. I wouldn't mind getting a secondary job in teaching music/Psych though!

I think showreels are mostly for acting/directing/photography though, I'm not sure how I would create one for musical works? (It'll be very weird to create a montage of different musical works without playing the full pieces)

Quote:
Is a psych degree the "fall back" if you don't "Succeed" in doing music full time?
Yeah it is, my parents aren't comfortable with me pursuing a music degree alone

Out of curiosity, is there anywhere that I can discover your works/see your playing?

Last edited by Unsurestudent; 18-03-2019 at 08:26 PM.