Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 01:10 AM
Ambition

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why do you say don't even bother putting the job on resume that the person have got offer in his/her resume? Given that the person stated current job offer salary is 1.7K. Is it because it is too low? I am asking for myself too. Been doing contract after contract and low pay around 2K.
My humble opinion.

The first job is crucial in Singapore. Every job after is just 15% above it.

SG is unlike western world. In western countries it is illegal to ask for payslip. Every job must be calculated as a new challenge.

In Singapore, no point saying that the challenges are different cannot count this way.. Every boss wants to low ball you. If you are over qualified usually they say "are you OK to take lower we offer work life balance, benefits, etc." But to excel, probably u will OT to accomplish more anyway. If you match nicely they will say "this is a chance for you to learn, towards your next job..." Its BS. Companies that claim learning opportunities usually have no money to get talent. Why is this important? You learn the most when a company hires the best, and you get to learn on the job watching these talent perform. Better still, you work alongside them.

70% chance the company called you because within budget, rarely because they need your skill set. Unless your skill set is niche. Also possible that your cover was so well written they like your meta cognition. Nobody remembers your cover, but people remember they were impressed. Impression is crucial.

If u took 2k for some time, you have created a problem for yourself. You will take forever to reach 2.6k when peers already increase 15% and 7% year on year. In 5 years MAYBE your peers 5k, you 3k.

Even if you apply for M level jobs, even if you can do it, bosses peg salary to ability coz that's all they know about you.

I could be wrong. Your next job may be 4k with 3 years exp.

There's a lot of people stuck with 4k 8 years experience, believe me. They just inflate their numbers to match their pride. These people tend to actively seek good passive and side income to compensate living needs in exorbitant Singapore. It's not a bad idea. Those getting 8k don't go home at 5.30 either.

If u r stuck, make money work for you. Don't work for money like the lucky others else you will be depressed once house and child comes. You work 1 day and all the money goes to a week of milk powder. Crazy inflated prices here.

My humble opinion

Don't give up