Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi, just curious if there are currently any DXOs here who are private degree holders? (eg. from RMIT/UOL/UB)

I have a friend who is currently working as a DXO (diploma holder) and she informed me that all of her colleagues (degree holders) are from local universities. I understand that naturally MINDEF would prioritise local university graduates and tend to hire more of them as well.

However, I'm a private degree holder and I took the PT yesterday. Not a fresh grad, I do have 3 years of working experience where i had to liaise with MINDEF personnel (regulars/NSmen/DXOs) due to the nature of my job and another 2.5 years of experience which is relevant to the position I applied for. Just wondering if there is a possibility for me to score an interview (provided I did well for the PT) and that they would consider people like me who are from private universities?
I think that the fact that they invited you to PT, already means they are giving you a chance to prove yourself to be of a certain caliber worth to take a second look. The problem is the PT weeds out more than 90% of candidates at stage 1. those that remain are usually highly experienced, sometimes without qualification due to lack of opportunity. if you are young and qualified, the PT is, unfortunately, there to filter you.

my degree is also private, from SIM-AUS. before I obtained my higher degree from NTU, straight rejection 5 years in a row, not even step into PT. The moment I keyed in my higher degree, the system stopped sending me rejection email within 2 working days. Yes, this shows that the system is still rather dogmatic, not really pragmatic, despite all the sales talk around August.

I have waited almost 2 months from PT to interview, and almost 1 month to finally "site visit" next week. No news is good news. Finally, for non-uniformed, the salary is usually below the market.