Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg doc View Post
It depends on what specialty you want to go into, and you should find people in that particular specialty to speak with, be it MOs, residents, consultants or program coordinators (sort of like an admin person). There currently is a knee-jerk reaction towards what is perceived as an oversupply in certain specialties but the situation might change in a very short time. If you are Singaporean with good work ethic, you can be rest assured of a training spot if you are not hard up for competitive specialties
I am a UK graduate who returned to Singapore in early 2017. This might sound a silly question. But can I ask how long should we give ourselves when trying for residency in a particular speciality before giving up and going to become RP or GP instead?
I known of seniors who tried to get into competitive specialties like eye, Ortho for like 4-5 years, but eventually they just gave up and become GP instead (coz it is just too competitive and you don't want to keep trying till you eventually become a reg when you are 40 years old. Lol)

I failed to secure a residency spot for past 2 application cycles, not sure if I should continue trying or just go for the RP/go tract instead?