Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer Pay
Thread: Engineer Pay
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Been in the oil & gas EPC industry for close to 11 years, drawing only 91k per annum. Is this very low as compared to working in shell, Exxon?
I am a bit lost with my career at the moment. Don’t know what I can do. Wanted to switch career but not sure what else I can do. Pls give me some advice.
O&G jobs are typically paid higher than other industry, except aviation, due to the current oil price downturn, where O&G industry suffers a painful hit on reducing baseline cost.

If you still consider staying in O&G industry, suggests that you do a horizontal movement within the company to get yourself more exposure to different skillset and put your adaptability to the test.

I had 10 years experience in the O&G industry until the oil price slumped below $30 per barrel and my company suffered detrimental impact and required to be re-organised. I left the company since and joined the aviation industry and found that the industry pays decent base salary and bonuses that are far better that O&G OEMs. However, it is challenging to get your foot into the aviation industry though. Therefore, acquire skillsets that are "transferable" to different industry, which should be downturn-proof per se.