Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 23-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Unregistered

Default Civil service to private company

Hi all,

I have been working in the same company all my working life since graduation - 33 years ago.

I started off as a civil servant, then after 10 years, my unit was corporatised and I had to "resign" and was placed under the corporatised scheme, and 6 years after that we were "privatised" and I had to "resign" yet again to become a private company employee.

All through the process, my workscope and office did not change one bit and my pay and benefits were not affected. One very big difference was that we now have to time charge and fight for projects unlike when we were under the civil service!

It was a strange journey but at least I can say I have worked in the civil service as well as in a private company in my resume.

Salary wise, the 33 years of continuous working enabled me and wife to have comfortable life and savings. Not wishing to share my networth here but would like to share the following tips

1. Work to earn an income
2. Live within your means and below your earning so that you have savings
3. Invest your savings (ie make your money work for you)
4. Do not break your working journey (or keep the break short if you need to take a break for eg to continue your studies or change career)

Using the four steps above diligently, my wife and I have built up 3 passive income streams. Last year the passive income came up to slightly above $150K. As of Jul this year, we have received $105K in passive income and are expecting $160K total for the year.

At this point, we could comfortably retire, but will continue to work till 62.