Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2018, 09:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
At this moment, if you are only narrowly focused on radiology, the odds of exiting as a radiology consultant in Singapore is not great. You are competing with 500 local grads per year in saturated market. Radiology is super popular specialty. Coz it is regarded as being away from the clinical trenches of the wards.
Make sure u have a great CV, publish quite a bit.

Try to pass your frcr part 1 as early as possible. Used to be possible for overseas candidate to take without a training position. I think it is still possible. Higher chance to get into a Singapore training position with frcr part 1 pass, and a publication.

FYI, Singapore citizenship doesn't matter when it comes to selecting resident as the selection committee is nationality blind. We are very fair.

However, that being said, being a citizen confers advantage in early full registration. If u do ur housemanship in Singapore, then within one yr ho and two yr mo you can get full registration if you are a citizen, then you can leave for gp practice.
Thanks for the reply and the advice. I have realised radiology is a bad idea as much as I enjoy it, trying to keep my options open now. what is in demand apart from geriatrics and GP? Competition in UK for training post is about 3.5:1 applications per post or 2:1 interview for training posts, but with consultant jobs at the end. Not sure how Singapore compares.

There is the PEG grant to apply for overseas students and my friends and I have some doubts on whether to take it, afraid of the future prospects with the 500 grads/year from the new schools and being stuck in MOPEX working 80h or giving up and becoming a resident physician or GP, but there are always risks working anywhere.

From what I understand, the residency selection is on MOPEX performance and also knowing people, is it that merit based? I imagine it would help immensely to do MOPEX in the specialty you are interested in