Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

This chatroom has veered really far off from its original purpose. What was supposed to be a proper salary discussion forum has quickly degenerated into a mudslinging arena where tired, overworked juniors with inflated egos come to flaunt their command of English and boast about their minuscule achievements. I hope to redirect your minds to what really matters here - money.

I am a US law firm associate. I started at a Big4 law firm 7 years ago, moved to an MC outfit 3 years ago and just recently upgraded to a white shoe firm. I have no knowledge regarding remuneration packages in midsize or small firms as I have no experience there.

When I jumped over from a certain Big4 as a Year 5 associate (SA year 2, hint hint), I was taking S$10,200, including front loading (its an effing scam).
The jump to an MC resulted in a temporary 2 year "demotion" back to associate but with no PQE cut. I went in at S$16,300 per month (pre-bonus).
With the move to a US white shoe firm, I now receive the most recently posted Milbank rate. Taking a slight PQE cut from the move, my basic pay sits at slightly above S$29,000 per month (pre-bonus). My peers who weren't cut are taking about S$34,000.

Yearly increments in SG Big4 are approx S$1,000 per month, and stagnate when you hit Year 7. Yearly increments in MC firms are approx S$2,000 per month. Yearly increments in white shoe firms are approximately US$2,000 per month, though some firms may scam or pressure you into accepting what is euphmistically referred to as a mid-Atlantic rate (another scam), which sits above the MC scale but below the full Milbank-Cravath scale.

My advice to young associates is to always look forward. If you started in a small firm, attrition at the midsize firm level will result in openings one level up. Likewise, after moving up to a midsize firm and serving a few years, you'll be well poised for a Big 4 move, where you could join the fight for partnership or go international. Rinse and repeat - don't stop looking forward and progressing your career. Attrition one level up will always create openings for an upward move, and there will always be attrition no matter how good the pay.

Ignore the negativity which is being spewed out here, buckle down, do your best and don't stop looking forward.