Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 12:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
The question of "which is better" simpliciter is, in my opinion, the wrong question to ask. The question you should be asking is which degree is better for *you* in the light of your interests. Cambridge is where I would go if I were interested in international law. Oxford is where I would go if I were interested in jurisprudence and private law remedies. (Obviously I have omitted many topics, but you get the idea. Do the research.)

If, however, you are motivated by brand image and hiring prospects, then you might instead ask "which degree commands more respect *in my jurisdiction*". Certainly, I accept what Eppendorf said in respect of Germany. I suspect the same position is so in all European civil law jurisdictions. However, the opposite is true if you are from the UK or Australia (and, of course, some other common law jurisdictions other than the US), where the BCL is seen as finishing school for top barristers. You might also want to consider the fact that, to some, BCL will need explanation: why is it called a Bachelor? Why is it in Civil Law? The same problem will not exist for the LLM.

That being said, you are, at the end of the day, trying to compare two of the best law master programs in the world. Whilst you may have a preference for one over the other (though it seems like you do not), you will not go wrong with either one.
anyway if you didn’t know that the bcl is usually undertaken before attempting the bar exams

you probably shouldn’t be mouthing off like you have something worth contributing here

thank you in advance, now go post in the mindef dxo thread instead.