Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 23-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Unregistered

I was also given computer applications for my second teaching subject when I applied for teaching at first. Even after I told the interviewers that I have no background and interest in this subject, I was still allocated this subject for contract teaching. In the end, i wrote an email to MOE HR to request for a change of second subject. I stated that I did not have any prior knowledge in this subject at all and I felt that it would be unfair to my students if I did not enjoy teaching it. I also suggested to them another second teaching subject which is more relevant to my tertiary studies (I even quoted the related module names in uni to show that I am more competent in this subject and also described how much passion I have for this subject instead (for you, maybe chemistry is a more suitable teaching subject).

But of course I guess everything is subjected to MOE’s needs but no harm trying. You can try to email them before you start contract teaching, if not everything will be cast and stone. All the best. Computer Applications is a subject taken by NT students, student management might be challenging and you might be given a NT form class more often because you are a Computer Applications teacher, but again depending on school’s needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridhwan1820 View Post
Would like to seek advice from current MOE teachers. i recently applied for PGDE. I am a FCH from NTU school of biological sciences. I just got an interview offer for PGDE in NIE. In my application, i had put in sec bio as my first choice, and pri sch eng sci as my second choice.

However, i was offered secondary school bio as my first teaching subject, and computer applications as my second teaching subject. I am completely clueless on these IT stuffs. I suspect they gave me this subject because I took one computer programming module while on exchange in Korea. -.-

Any chance they can change my teaching subject? I dont think i can pass any computer skills test if there is a proficiency test being conducted.