JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherlyj View Post
Currently a diploma holder,

Joined my current school in 2014,

Promoted from GEO1 to GEO 2 in 2017.

current pay: 2750.

Performance grade: C, C+ C

Currently doing SUSS part time degree but I heard from colleagues that even with a grad cert from suss, the pay increment is little (like take home $400 more only) and not comparable to people graduated from NIE with a degree. ): Felt really sad when I heard this. Is this true?

Also, wondering how long would I be staying in GEO 2? ):
and also considering the NIE degree programme for non graduate teachers but i know that would be two years without any pay ): (Not sure if i can survive two years without any pay) and biggest concern is if i would be posted back to my current school after 2 years(pretty like the environment here). So not sure if i should apply next year.

Any experienced teachers can help me out on this?

Thank you!
I think it also depends on your honours, and the relevance and academic rigor of your degree based on the institution you are in.

A female fresh grad with NTU-NIE degree, 2nd lower, will probably get 3.6k gross. I also have a friend who teaches music in the school. Used to be on advanced dip but went to take SIM music education degree which is recognized by NIE. Her salary was bumped up to quite a similar amount (3.4k) as a 2nd lower, albeit a little lower than the NTU grad.

As for how long you will stay in GEO2, if you get your degree eventually and submit, it should take maybe 3 years or less. If not. Usual progression from GEO2 to GEO 3 is around 2 years for degree/PGDE, and 4 years for Diploma.

NIE degree programme, should you decide to take it yourself, can be quite costly. I have friends who opted to take it on their own after a 2-year dip stint in schools. Firstly, there will be no pay. Secondly, they have to pay for every semester they attend. But of course when they grad they are getting the degree pay which will be a huge bump from their 2-year dip salary. Maybe you just calculate on your end whether if it is worth it to take? But you should check if your SUSS degree really only gets you +400 because that may not be the case since it depends on quite a number of factors.

As for posting back to school. New MOE directive is that teachers who are away from school for more than 1 year (be it for studies, maternity leave, NPL for any reasons) will be out of the school's strength. So MOE will post you again once you 'rejoin'.