Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 30-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Unregistered

Hi, This is my 2 cts worth after being an engr in a defunct japanese company ( a OEM HDD media manufacturing firm & recently bought over by Western Digital).

It doesn't matter if you are in a jap or US manufacturing firm. The annual package is almost the same.

So long as Singapore do not have enuf local MNC companies, we can forget about having high pay. Other than japs, I have met engrs from US, German, Italy & France . Their pay is comparable or slightly lower compared to accountants & doctors in their countries.

In Singapore, unless you worked in certain engrg fields (oil & gases and stat boards with engrg positions) , that's what you can expect.

I had switch field 2 yrs back after 10 yrs as a group leader to civil service. All I can say is it's much better in terms of pay & working hours. Man who left that company found better jobs that are not related to engrg. The one thing I missed is the engrg stuff. But I do have to say that my engrg training & exposure actually help me secured a few opening in banking & civil service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjunior View Post
Hi all, I'm a 20 year old currently in NS and going to study mechanical engineering next year(NUS). I read through many of the posts and found many people talking about how engineering is a dead-end career, the low pay in singapore etc...

I'm quite worried that this is true but I really have a interest in this area and the sciences. (I did quite well for my A levels (5As) and so had the option to choose other courses.) Having said that, I don't intend to be an engineer all my life but just for a few years to gain some experience in the field, then move on to higher managing roles.