Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - desperate
Thread: desperate
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2011, 07:08 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I read the posts. And i thought i drop some questions to spur some discussion here.

From the posts above i gather :
1. It perceived that 1.8k is low as a starting pay for accountacy grad
2. There is a concern on starting too low impacting their "future" market value.

My questions are :
1. As a fresh grad, how much value do you add to a firm ?
2. What is the yardstick used for the comparison of salary ? Peer group ?
3. Tell me what you think is acceptable salary for you now, 3 years, and 5 years.

To be fair, let me offer my view on my own question.
1. Minimal unless company is very small. For any existing org, having a fresh grad is about talent development.
2. You should always remember that there is a min, medium and high. As a normal human being, i always want to be the high category for salary. but is that possible ? do my talents put me in a high band ?
If i grad with no honors, but i want medium salary, then what basis does the company pay me a medium salary ?
3. I look at annual salary + propsect because monthly is a poor indicator
If i am offered 1.8k with good prospect say big 4, i will just accept.
3 years, if i have been getting good performance review, i hope to earn above 3.5k
5 years, good performance review - 5 k.

Are my expectation too low ? maybe. especially after hearing SMU grads get 4.5k as starting pay. But the fact is history has shown, in a growing economy, new grads always get good pay.. but their pay will not grow much. Why ?
Because the company cannot readjust those they hired previously. Imagine if you been working for 1 year and u know a fresh grad has just joined the company and is getting pay higher than yours... how would you feel ?

To increase everyone is too costly an affair.. so the company will only adjust performers.the rest just have to bear with the low increment.