Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Cornell vs Cambridge vs SMU
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

i was the one whose parents could afford so i went to local universities. let me state upfront that i am quite happy with where i am in life and in my career even though i went to local universities. would my life be better if i went to foreign universities? maybe. but i do not regret not accepting those offers from top foreign universities because it would be too much for my parents back then, and i also have no regrets about not considering a scholarship back then because i do not like to be tied down this way.

bottomline in my opinion is this:
if your family can afford it fairly comfortably and you can pay them back in time without causing financial constraints to your parents, go for it. it is not all about how your degree will help you get a fabulous job in the future, it's about how an education will help you in your personal development. education should shape you as an individual, not turn you into another cog in the economy. sure this may be idealistic, but if your family is well-to-do (i'm not talking about filthy rich, but comfortably well-to-do and can afford it, as it sounds like from the person who asked this question), why not?