Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in!
View Single Post
Old 15-03-2018, 11:24 PM

UserJ is on a distinguished road
Post Career Advice

Hey guys! I would like to seek some career advice as I am in a dilemma right now of which path/jobs should I take.

Just to share more about myself, I am currently unemployed as my contract has ended about 1 month ago. I have been working for more than 1.5 years as a compliance officer/executive. (Non banking/FI industry) 1 year contract and followed by 6 months contract in different companies.

Job scope comprises, reviewing transactions/documentation for any fraud or suspicious activities and to prevent from any non compliant issues to the organisation rules and regulations, regulatory reporting, review cases/complaint from APAC region and to give appropriate recommendation/training to staffs and as well as taking part in risk assessments exercises.

Initially, I am thinking of stepping in my foot into banking industry to develop my career in the Aml side however I do know that it is hard to even get shortlisted as I do not have the relevant skills. (unless through referral or by luck.
However during this 2 months of intense job search, my current situation is;

1st company: UK MNC non banking/FI industry doing compliance related work, went for 1st interview with HR, 2nd interview with 2 managers and last interview with Finance Director. HR got back and say that I am on their top list so far however still need to screen last candidate before confirmation
Salary wise: briefly discuss that they can offer around $4k~, PB around 1-2 months the most.

2nd company: US MNC doing Aml compliance related work, PEP, Sanctions, alerts, Adverse Media list, watch list screening for name matching and etc..
went for 2 interviews as well and it turn out to be great.
Salary wise: around $3.4- $3.7, unknown for bonuses

3rd company: Bank doing kyc role. name screening with the list that was given by authority, on-boarding, CDD, documentation checks. (through referral)
Salary wise: yet to be discussed but I am assuming around $2.8 - $3.2

4th company: Bank doing business compliance related work, kyc documentation check, name screening, STRs, etc..
Salary wise: $3k~

The above jobs that i mentioned were all on contract basis, given that only the first 2 positions are highly converted to permanent role.

I heard a lot from my friends that are currently working in banks said that Kyc is going to be outsourced or even automated in about 3~ years time and was wondering if it is ideal to enter into the banking industry right now or should I steer away from it.

I know that I may seem to be indecisive of what I want but
I sincerely hope that I could get some advice from the seniors that are currently or had experience working in this related field about the prospect of choosing such industries to work in.

Thanks in advance guys!