Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - No progression in civil service...
View Single Post
Old 27-02-2018, 02:28 PM

Konfidant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How many years of working experience do you have at 8k? Assuming 16-17 months package, your annual salary is $128-$136k which is very high when compared to the outside world. Civil servants like to fantasize about the pte sector where they think everyone earns a high salary. Truth is, the high paying jobs are in the MNCs where you have to compete with FTs and other expats from the company's home country who are parachuted (and rightly so) into the management roles.

If you can't make the cut in your cushy civil service job, what makes you think you can so easily jump into the pte sector? Also, pte sector rarely hires "out of touch" civil servants.....
9 years working experience, coming up to 10 this year.

I feel like I did make the cut, but I'm constantly being passed over for scholars, who are juniors that I literally mentored. How is it fair for someone who relied on my supervision to be promoted over me?

Plus, I've had headhunters for banks offering me better positions, so I know I've made the cut for the private sector as well. The only thing stopping me is that I like my job, and my team, and of course the stability that comes with a civil service job, but the civil service is simply not offering me renumeration competitive enough to keep me there anymore.

Imagine being passed over for promotion for 3 years, knowing full well the last two candidates weren't better workers than you. I see now that the civil service cares far more about qualifications on paper as opposed to actual performance. As a previous poster mentioned, I guess I was naive thinking I could change civil service culture just by working harder than the scholars.

Last edited by Konfidant; 27-02-2018 at 02:30 PM.