Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 27-02-2018, 12:36 AM
Unregistered

4) How am I to learn?
By being thrown very quickly in the deep end whenever possible - i.e. to carry out real (not fake or illusory) work, as long as it does not cause us or our clients any damage. Trainees will get to do things that practitioners do and will be treated likewise. Work can be given to you by the legal associates but you must show or extend a soft or hard copy of what you have done to your mentor always (by email, showing the actual product, etc.). This is necessary so that your mentor can (a) supervise and check your work and give you the appropriate instruction and (b) be impressed (or otherwise) by your skill, competence and diligence. The lawyers in the firm have also been briefed not to give or delegate work that (a) they are unable themselves to do, (b) they do not like doing, and (c) they are unable to provide instruct anyone how to do it right. If a lawyer sets you a deadline, then it is given that he/she will be able to meet the deadline if he/she is to carry out the work himself/herself; otherwise, he/she should not impose that deadline.

5) Why am I receiving so much work from everybody?
Alas, there is no definite answer to this one. Why is Singapore more successful as a nation compared to some other countries (we are, aren't we)? Why are some law firms receiving more work or clients than others? Please refer to the people giving you the work for possible answers. We suppose the answer can be pedantic or profound depending on the way the question is put. Perhaps, they are all just impressed by your ability, diligence and reliability. Lawyers to you are like clients to us - we/they like to go back to where things get done properly.

6) Why am I not receiving work from anybody?
Also no firm answer to this one. Please ask everyone - especially your mentor. Perhaps, they are not impressed or just plain terrified of what you can produce. Accidents do happen to lawyers who make the bad judgment of relying on a trainee’s defective work. If you are becoming unemployed in the firm, please attempt to correct the situation quickly. We are afraid you have to take the initiative - we cannot force lawyers in the firm to “commit suicide” against their will. By default, the mentor, alas, may have to do so.

7) If I made a mess of some work early in my training, will it be held against me?
As a matter of principle, no. We try extremely hard not to be prejudiced against someone just because he/she produced bad work at an early stage. However, having said that, you must realise that for some people, confidence is a very strange thing - once lost, it is extremely hard to regain. Although we will try our best, the onus will be on you to retrieve what is fading or lost. Remember – trust and confidence need to be earned and they do not come automatically!

8) Can I complain if I think I am receiving too much work?
Of course. Please see your mentor. But please be sure you know what you are complaining about. If you feel that you are receiving too much work because you do not know how to do the work, it may be easier just to learn how to do it.

://.channeo.sg/TraineeFAQ.html