Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - No progression in civil service...
View Single Post
Old 26-02-2018, 07:39 PM

Konfidant is on a distinguished road
Default No progression in civil service...

Hi all, I'm quite interested in knowing how my peers around my level are doing right now in the private sector, because I'm feeling stuck and helpless in the civil service.

I graduated with BA in Econs/Pols from an overseas university (UMelb). No honours because I couldn't afford another year of study, but got the highest level of a pass degree. Got hired by a Ministry almost fresh out of school. Made full Manager fairly early (< 6 years). Life seemed good.

But, for the last 3 years, I've been in the same position with no sign of further progression in both salary or rank.

The first time someone got promoted over me, I let it go; the promotee entered around the same time as me, and performed at a similar level to me. Plus, he was a scholar; I understood this was a big bonus.

The second and third chances for promotion were really a kick in the face though. People junior to me, who often came to me for assistance, got promoted over me for the last 2 years. Only difference between me and them is that they were scholars who took their honours year. Up to this point, I thought if I worked hard and proved my steel, I could beat any scholar. Now... I'm not sure anymore.

My people like me, and work well for me. I hang out with my boss at least once a week and we get along. I told him how I felt last year and he said he would try to look into it. Then someone else is promoted over me. When I ask him about it, he says he has not much control over it.

Now I feel underappreciated and betrayed for my loyalty. I spoke to two peers of similar experience in the private sector (9-10 years in finance-related fields), and both earn about 50% more than me.

I feel like I've given my best years to the government for nothing. Should I switch to the private sector? Maybe take this chance to pursue an MBA?

If anyone has any kind of convincing argument for staying in the civil service, would love to hear it.

Last edited by Konfidant; 26-02-2018 at 07:43 PM.