Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Working in a bank
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
oops I didnt see the 'new' in 'New England'. anw its easier to get into european banks than banks on the street. SocGen or BNP would be a good choice. BNP more than Socgen though.

Not to burst your bubble but I dont see a Singaporean making partner in MBB anytime soon. A popular (and good, I might add) choice for OS HWS/Oxbridge grads would be to work in GIC. Pay not as great as compared to the Street but godly enough considering you and your family dont have to move across the Pacific.

In case you were wondering, IBD of prestigious BBs like GS/MS/UBS etc dont have a significant presence here. They are usually HQed in HK. S&T here comprises 80-90% foreigners and while it is possible to get into S&T in BBs in Sg, its really hard. Do give GIC due consideration. More HWS-calibre employees means potentially lesser jokes from Ho Ching.
It's true that it's usually easier to get into European IBD departments, but most of their IBD depts are not based in SG anyway. S&T there's still quite a number of Singaporeans, but yes, it's hard to get in. In any case, a good amount of Singapore S&T mostly deals with spot/future FX and FXOs anyway.

As for IBD: Friend of mine transitioned from a ministry into IBD, so it's not impossible. Just tough (she was a scholar with MEcon from Stanford, broke bond), and she tells me that the incoming class at the bank (a BB) she's working, 1/2 are local undergrads who had their internships converted and the other half are foreign grads like her.

MBB: One of the partners I interviewed with at McK was a Singaporean. Granted she had her PhD from MIT...