Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Working in a bank
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Unregistered

Default Dear Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgohjunhui View Post
I'm in a major dilemma now as I will be completing my degree next year and I will be 26. I have no relevant experience as I'm with the RSAF now. My Bond will complete this year august. Isit better for me to leave this august and look for relevant job that is able to give me the experience while continuing studying part time or should I just complete my studies den look for the job as a fresh grad. Really kinda bother about this. Any kind advice? Thanks
Dear Eric,

How long have you been with the RSAF? Before you quit your job with the RSAF, have you given careful thought to why are you quitting? Are the reasons due to pay (low?), or working hours (high?), or lack of respect (rank, esp when talking to senior officers?) etc etc etc?

If the reasons are a combination of the above, then my advice is not to quit your job. In ib, especially with a boutique, you start out with super low pay, approx 50% of what your peers get in BBs, you work like a dog during the day and when your wife/kids are sleeping, and you have no pride when your MD barks at you to fetch coffee from the nearest starbucks every morning.

the only valid reason for you to quit the RSAF is that you have 0 future staying with them. Exciting promotion opportunities are only provided to scholar-officers and all others are mere stepping stones for them to command and control. In contrast, successfully landing a job in ib and eventually PE/HF would almost guarantee you a 6-figure annual salary before you hit 40. Hell, even way before that for those that start early.

Now the only question is how HUNGRY are you to get a job in IB? Are you desperate enough to quit your job, desperate enough to study hard in school and desperate enough to venture out of your syllabus and learn the relevant skills (see above post)? The decision is yours to make, not anyone's.

Yes? you think its easy?

Talk only and no action would only get you as far as the nearest bus stop instead of the CBD. There is a reason why a career in FO is so lucrative. They recruit from the best by the best. If you dont start out among the best, work/study your ass off to get to the best.

P.S. judging by your level of knowledge you wont even survive the initial resume/CV screening, not to mention the subsequent interviews, aptitude tests and assessment centres. If i were you, I would think twice before quitting the RSAF. Its possible that you end up working/studying your ass off and still NOT land a FO role.

The best bet for you now is to graduate with a good honours and apply to a masters program(NOT MBA, you cant get in) in a target school in the UK/US. I know some BBs recruit from schools like warwick, lse and maybe nottingham/manchester. NYU would be a good bet too.