Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 20-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think it is safe to say no one who is in the workforce now have never thought of resigning from his job every now and then. These thoughts of leaving the job could be triggered by a variety of factors. For eg., being jaded with the work, being passed over for promotion, being scolded and humiliated by the boss, having bad clients, toxic co-workers, environment, poor remuneration, and even mid-life crisis, etc...

However, other than having a better job offer from somewhere else, or from having a windfall, the other reasons for wanting to quit your current job has to be seriously thought through. It is not just the financial aspects, but the agonizing months that you may have to go through looking for another job. Going without a job for some length of time will shake your confidence and self esteem. Some people also suffer from depression during this period. Being jobless also bring great stress and strain on the family - unthinkable for a sole breadwinner.

Having been in the workforce for over 32 years, I have had my fair share of these "passing" thoughts of quitting my job and doing something else. Sometimes it could be because the boss said something unpleasant. At times, it was because I didnt get the promotion/bonus I thought I deserved. The worse episode was when I hit 40, and undergoing mid-life crisis. I was on the verge of quitting and just thinking of taking a sabbatical to "see the world".

Luckily, a big project came my way and got me fully absorbed in it and kept my mind away from all this distraction. I sailed past my mid-life crisis and have not looked back since.

My new distraction is - shall I retire now or later? This question becomes more recurring now that many among my cohort have retired and enjoying life.

The one big benefit of gritting your teeth and staying on in the workforce and working continuously throughout is the tidy sum of retirement nest egg that you can count on for a comfortable retirement.

So to conclude, unless you have a better job offer or have received a windfall, do not throw away what you currently have on hand, to go without a job.

Thank you for that...and to those who are gainfully employed...please treasure what you have...I have been out of a job for 1.5 years and actively seeking work...it is hell every day...waiting and waiting.