Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
First you have to pass the basic screen. First, we look at your form particulars. If that's OK, we look at the cover letter. Then, we may or may not look at the CV; 50/50, depends on that particular HR. After that, we'll call you to clarify any additional details.

Then usually we interview you.

Either before or during the interview we will 100% try to call at least one reference. I cannot stress how important it is that the reference knows who the hell you are. Literally 70% of the time I get references going "... Who?" This seems like a basic concept but come on, guys.

References do, in fact, make or break our decision sometimes. If you were stupid enough to put a reference who doesn't know you for instance, that's an instant no from me. If your academic qualifications were so-so, but you worked during your studies, and your reference praised your performance, then it's a big bonus and I'll look the other way with regards to academics.

In Public Service your increments will be near-constant in Ministries. In SBs, it can stall if the SB in question doesn't perform well. The rate of increment depends on your performance at work. However, there is a "glass ceiling" that you will hit, based off the following:

1. Diploma only, no degree.
2. Pass degree only, no honours.
3. Honours only, no (relevant) Masters.

The ceiling doesn't matter if you are a Masters/PhD holder in relevant field. But prior to that, you can and will be stalled.

HOWEVER, case 3 is rare, because we only take Masters into account if you're supposed to be considered for a Directorial-level position or something similar.
Thank you for pointing that out. Really appreciate the fact that you took the time to write such information that helps to enlighten the job seekers. Basically understanding that the hiring structure/decision making process is quite different from other industries.

How would you then recommend a local uni pass degree only candidate who managed to get a job offer (albeit 1 year contract) as a relatively fresh grad? Since there will be a 'glass ceiling' which is lower compared to case 3. The job scope is interesting, but in order to really progress, would it be better to seek for better pastures outside after a few years in civil service or go for masters for eg.?