Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What are the job options for a biology graduate in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 22-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwashi View Post
Besides teaching, what else can a biology graduate do in Singapore? I've been job hunting for the last 5 years and had no luck. In fact, besides teaching or working in a lab doing repetitive lab work, where have most of the science graduates gone? I really need to see where I can fit into.
Miwashi, there are a lot of careers a biology graduate could do. While many biology grads move onto PhDs, I have met a lot of life sciences and biology graduates who have entered industries outside of research and teaching (because it seems from your post that is not what you are keen to do). Throughout my careers, I have seen biology graduates in financial services, consulting and consumer goods companies.

Like Blackswan said, you could try sourcing for positions at non-R&D divisions of consumer/pharmaceutical companies like - GSK, J&J, AstraZeneca, Eli Lilly, Bristol Myers Squibb. They have leadership and development programs that hire a whole range of diverse candidates.

Alternatively, if you could look at an MBA program (since I gather that you have around ~5 years of working experience). Whilst an MBA program does open doors, it does not guarantee that you will be able to find a job after that. Also, it is likely that you will have to incur a significant investment into your MBA.

Good luck
Resume Shifu