Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Accountant

I have recently finished my national service and i'm currently contemplating on furthering my studies in the UK. I've received offers from recognized universities to read law there. My A level grades were above average but not good enough to enter the law faculties or courses related to the top professions.

I am also about to finish my ACCA qualification which i studied part time, I really like accounting but the general consensus in Singapore is that a degree is of paramount importance to secure a bright future. I am also keen on joining the civil service, this puts me in an even more difficult position as my divisional grading is determined by the qualifications I have.

The question is do erstwhile accountants perform well in the legal profession? Would law firms specializing in M&A, equity and trusts and Tax see a person possessing accounting knowledge in a brighter light? What other areas do accountants-turned-lawyers practice in? And is there any potential conflict of interests I should be aware of due to my dual capacity as accountant and lawyer? Your advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.