Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 16-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There is no free lunch in this world. The money for your pay while studying comes from your future income stream, which is diminished upon getting the PhD. Most people don't realise that a PhD has a negative value to their long term career.

The law of supply and demand dictates that everything in this world has a price. Somethings just have a negative price, and thus have to be "encouraged" by the Government. Think life sciences. Most of those who were "tricked" into it would have led a happier alternative life, in an alternative dimension, if they had not gone into it in the first place.
Hmmm, I guess you do have a good perspective here.

A PhD does limit the range of jobs and the number of companies that would even look at your CV. There is the possibility of being caught in a situation whereby you're too specialized in your own field and too pricy for the industry. That is why the majority would eventually turn to academia so as to at least earn a living, and also more freedom in research.

But I have seen PhD holders in the public and civil service. Quite a number of Dy Directors and Directors have "Dr" in front of their names I think.
I wonder if their specialized skills are actually needed in the govt sector.
Plus, I also wonder if they did their PhD and then joined Govt sector, OR, they joined Govt sector with a Bachelor or Masters and then furthered studies to PhD while still employed by the public/civil service.

Anyone can shed some light in this? Thanks a lot..