Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 14-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

If pay is your main consideration, you should not remain in the public sector. Your salary increment over the past four years reflects that you are not valued there, or you would be drawing far more than $3,200 after four years. I mean no offence, but merely provide an honest and objective evaluation of your prospects in the public sector. Moving to another ministry for a salary of $2,600, which is barely more than your starting pay again reflects their lack of appreciation of your experience and ability.

In my view, you should consider moving to the private sector. At your pay scale, you are still relatively affordable and a firm would be able to offer you a pay that provides recognition of your working experience. At 26, you are also young enough to start even in a new industry. If you want to advance your long-term pay prospects, then you should leave the public sector as soon as possible to start in the private sector. The skills you pick up in the private sector will give you more mobility, and ironically, if you do choose to return to the public sector in the future, they will in fact value you more as a result of your private sector experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I'm a female, 26yrs, with 2nd Uppers for Business USA Degree. Have been working in the public sector for about close to 4 years, last drawn pay was $3200. My starting salary when I first started working was $2500.

I have been offered a position in a Ministry and they are only offering $2600, and I was even told by friends and others in the public sector that government jobs don't pay well. And that $2600 is for fresh grads. I read the previous posts in this threads earlier, and found that some actually do get good pay, or last least still matchable and not so far off that much of a difference.

I don't understand the difference in pay. Should I take the offer? Is there any room for negotiation? What is the pay that I should be expecting? Would stat board pay be higher than that of a ministry?

Thanks!