Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment
View Single Post
Old 23-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I assume u are an A1 that got a rating 3
Big 4s are guaranteeing their graduates with salary progression. What graduates should really take into account when accepting the big 4 route is.. the base salary is already below average; of course they could have the ability to guarantee the salary progression for at least for the first 6 years up till manager level. Thereafter, it is pretty much a gentler progression from manager. And coupled with the low bonus they are paying their professional services employees, when looking at the overall package of big 4's, I would say it is not fairly paid.

That said, if you are the cut for partner, whatever you get up till your journey towards partnership would be worthwhile, provided that you are sure that it is the route that you would like to take up and you would not run out of stamina and quit halfway through. That said, to be a partner is more than hard work. Networking and relationship building with potential clients and the ability to generate new business units are important, and more so, the relationship with existing partners, as they are the ones who will approve your entry to partnership!

My point is, you are low-balled if you stay in big 4 if you are not made a partner because there are many better remunerating jobs apart from big 4. Look at the overall package and not just the salary progression that they proud themselves for (Bonus range from 1 -2.5 months). Be fair to yourself! You have the entire batch coming forth, but you will gradually see the lunch group of peers getting smaller and smaller, and farewells are commonplace every few months. The long hours are just not justifiable.

Just my thoughts after interacting with my batch-mates of 8 years in one of the big 4s. Since then, many of us had moved on from big 4, with only 2 out of 17 of us still working there. Big 4's should really reflect to better remunerate and retain their employees. It is really not the same culture in other countries like Hong Kong, London or New York where Big 4's employees are much fairly remunerated. I myself had signed on with the police force after 1.5 years in big 4 and is having a purposeful and meaningful career since then.

Hope my story could enlighten many young minds to reconsider your career choice carefully!